About the drug:
The main ingredient of the drug is Bicalutamide. It is an anti-androgen drug which is prescribed to treat prostate cancer.
Uses of the drug:
Calutide 50 is mainly used to treat advance stage prostate cancer. It is used in combination with other medicine to treat the medical condition.
Working of the drug:
The drug works by preventing the actions of male hormones known as androgens in the body.
The manufacturer of Calutide - 50mg is Ranbaxy. You can purchase Calutide - 50mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength:
- Calutide - 50mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Are women as the medicine is only for use by men.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have liver disease, diabetes or any other serious illness.
- Are taking any other medicines
- Are allergic to any medicines
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. The recommended dose is usually 50 mg to be taken once a day. The medicine is given as a part of a combination prostate cancer treatment along with another drug.
How to take the drug?
Take the drug exactly as instructed by your doctor. The drug is to be taken with the help of a glass of water. It should be taken at the same time each day so that no dose is missed. Never break or chew the drug. It is to be taken as a whole.
For how long to take it?
You should continue to take the medicine for as long as recommended by your doctor and should not stop the treatment mid way.
Overdose of the medicine can result in some serious side effects. Hence it should be avoided. In case of overdose of medicine you must get in touch with emergency medical care as soon as possible. Overdose of the medicine does not help in improving the symptoms faster rather it causes harm to the body.
If you miss a dose, then you should take it as soon as you remember provided the time for the next dose is not near. If the time for the next dose is near then you should skip the missed dose and continue with the original schedule. Taking the medicine at the same time each day reduces chances of missing the dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the most common side effect of the medicine includes:
- Hot flushes
- Itching or dry skin
The above side effects will not persist for long. Stop taking the medicine and get medical help in case the side effects get serious or stays for a longer period of time. Apart from the above side effects you may witness some serious side effects such as:
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Severe cough
- Body aches
- Flu symptoms
- Dark or bloody urine
- Upper stomach pain
- Clay colored stools
- Yellowing of skin or eyes
In case of the above side effects you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible and get medical help. This is not a complete list of side effect that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
Blood thinner like warfarin may interact with the medicine. There are several other medicines that may interact if taken together with Bicalutamide . Hence it is essential to disclose the list of medicines that you are taking currently to your doctor so that he can check the medicines and chances of drug interaction is reduced to a great extent.
Things to remember:
- Take the medicines as per the instruction of your doctor. Do not stop the medicine in the midway as it will jeopardize your treatment and may result in worsening of conditions.
- You have to undergo regular liver and prostrate function test to understand the progress.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat and moisture.
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose mentioned and not for any other purpose.
- If the condition of the patient does not improve even after taking the medicine for substantial period of time, then one must get in touch with doctor again.
This is block static ( block-cms )