About the drug
Salicylic Acid is monohydroxybenzoic acid. It comes in the form of topical administration ointments or lotions and shampoos. It is on list of WHO’s Model list of most Essential medicines.
Uses of the drug:
Salicylic acid is a keratolytic drug (peeling agent). It causes the shedding of the outer layer of the skin. Salicyclic acid in the form of topical medication is used to treat acne, dandruff, corns, and warts. It is sold under various trade names.
Working of the drug:
Salicylic Acid works by different pathways by producing anti inflammatory effects. the activity of enzyme Cyclo-oxygenase is inhibited by Salicylic acid, resulting in soothing of the inflammations caused by various skin problems.
Salicylix 6% 50 gm ointment is manufacture by Dr. Reddy’s, India. You can buy Salicylic Acid 50 gm online at alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the ointment form in the following strength on our website:
Salicylix 6% ointments 50 gm
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to this drug or any of the other ingredients present in this medicine
- have any cuts or wounds on the body or near the area of use like sunburns, windburns, dry skin or chapped skin)
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are pregnant and if you are not then use all the methods to prevent pregnancy.
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk and harm the newborn
- Have any other skin infection
How much to use the drug?
The dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, sex, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Your dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you properly. Generally a small amount of ointment enough to cover the area is taken and applied.
How to apply the drug?
Apply the pea-size amount of the ointment on the affected area twice in day. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Clean and dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of ointment on the area. Do not take Salicylic medication by mouth. Avoid covering the medicated area with dressing or bandages that don’t allow proper air circulation (occlusive dressings). You can buy Salicylix 6% 50 gm online at alldaychemist.com.
For how long to apply it?
Usually the drug shows its effect within 1-2 weeks still apply the drug as long as your doctor recommends it to you.
If you feel any frightening symptoms, then immediately call the doctor and inform him about the possible side effects of over dosage. If the situation worsens then visit the nearest healthcare center or call the emergency helpline number.
In case you forget to take the dose, skip the dose and take the next dose on the recommended time period. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
Some common side effects of Salicylic acid are burning, redness, skin peeling. These effects are expected. If any of these conditions persist for a longer time or deteriorate further, stop using this medication and seek immediate medical help. This medication is not likely to cause a serious side effect. However, if you experience any serious side effects, stop using this medication and get emergency medical attention.
Common drug interactions:
Avoid using any other topical medication on the affected area, unless or otherwise advised by your doctor. Also avoid other harsh skin products like strong soaps, shampoos, hair coloring or permanent chemicals, hair remover or waxes, or skin products that contain spices, lime, alcohol, or astringent. Medications and products other than those listed above can interact with Salicylic acid topical medication. Notify your doctor in advance if you use any other medications.
However, these are not the only medicines that can interact with Salicylic Acid. There may be others as well. Inform your doctor about all other medicines and related products which you may be using. Never start a new medication without consulting your doctor first.
Things to remember:
- Do not take antacids or stomach acid reducers for at least 6 hours after you have taken a dose of Salicylic Acid as they can make the absorption of this medicine harder
- Avoid alcohol while taking Salicylic Acid as it may cause undesired side effects
- While using Salicylic Acid topical, avoid covering the treated skin areas
- Store this medication in a cool and dry place
- Avoid tight fitting clothes or synthetic clothing
- Remember to follow your doctor’s advice properly for best results
- If you are using this medicine for jock itch in your feet, wear clean cotton socks, sandals or shoes that allows proper air circulation to the affected area
This is block static ( block-cms )