About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Cabergoline. It is a dopamine receptor agonist. The medicine is mainly used for reducing the levels of a hormone called prolactin.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used to treat high levels of prolactin hormone or hyperprolactinemia in your body. The hormone Prolactin plays an important role in the female body and it aids in production of milk in case of breast feeding mothers.
However, high level of the hormone can cause various symptoms such as missed periods and unnecessary breast milk. High level of the hormone can also result in sexual problems, difficulty becoming pregnant, bone loss in women who are not feeding their baby. Hence it is necessary to control it.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by blocking the release of prolactin hormone from the lactotroph cells of the pituitary gland.
The manufacturer of the Cabgolin - 0.5 mg is V H Bhagat, India. You can purchase Cabgolin - 0.5 mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Cabgolin - 0.5 mg
- Cabgolin 0.25 mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have any inflammation or swelling around the lungs or heart
- Have a heart valve disorder or any heart problem
- Have thickening or scarring of the lungs with shortness of breath
- Pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby
- Are taking any other medicine
- Are allergic to any medicine
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The recommended dose will be decided by your physician after examining you thoroughly. The dose of the medicine depends on several factors such as age, weight, severity of condition, response to treatment, drug interaction and so on. Usually half a tablet is taken twice a week or as per the instruction of the doctor.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be taken by mouth with the help of a glass of water. The medicine is always to be taken with meals and meals should not be skipped while taking the medicine.
For how long to take it?
The medicine is to be taken for the entire prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between as it may lead to adverse effect in the body.
In case of overdose of the medicine you must get in touch with medical attention immediately. Some of the common side effects in case of overdose of the medicine include:
- Stuffy nose
- Severe stomach pain
- Extreme drowsiness
In case of missed dose you must take the medicine as soon as you remember provided there is sufficient gap between two doses. Never double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the side effects that you may face while taking the medicine are:
- Allergic reactions
- Upset stomach
- Trouble breathing
- Burning or tingling sensation in hands, legs or feet
- Pain full menstrual period
- Pain in backside or groin
- Rashes, sores, redness or itching on the skin etc.
This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There may be other side effects as well. In case the side effects persist you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
Common drug interactions:
There are some medicines which may interact with Cabergoline and increase or decrease the working of the medicine. Some of such drugs which may interact are:
- Antipsychotic drugs
- Ergot alkaloids
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure
- HIV protease inhibitors
- Nausea and vomiting medicines
- Certain azole antifungal medicines
- Medicines called Macrolides
Tell your doctor about any medicines that you are taking currently including herbal medicines, any health supplements that you are taking currently so that drug interaction can be avoided.
Things to remember:
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry pace away from heat, light and moisture.
- When taking the medicine avoid activities that require high alertness such as operating machinery, driving and the likes.
- Serum prolactin level needs to be monitored frequently when taking the medicine.
- Never skip meals while taking the medicine.
This is block static ( block-cms )