About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Raloxifene. It is used to treat and prevent osteoporosis in women who have attained menopause.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is used to treat osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It is also used for the reduction of the risk of invasive breast cancer and to prevent it as well.
Working of the drug:
Raloxifene works by reducing bone tissue loss as it alters the cycle of bone formation and breakdown in the body.
The manufacturer of Ralista - 60 mg is Pharmacia, UK. You can purchase Pharmacia, UK online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Pharmacia, UK
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are suffering from any kidney or liver disease
- Are suffering from diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure, high triglycerides or any other disease
- Are taking any medicines
- Are allergic to any medicine.
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of the medicine will be decided by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. Normal recommended dose is 60mg tablet daily. It may vary from case to case basis.
How to take the drug?
The drug is to be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You must take the medicine by mouth with the help of a glass of water. It must not be broken or crushed but swallowed as a whole.
For how long to take it?
The medicine should be taken for full length of time and should not be stopped in between for it will lead to adverse effects in the body.
Overdose of the medicine may lead to side effects such as dizziness and leg cramps. Hence overdose should be avoided. In case of overdose of the medicine you must get medical attention as soon as possible.
In case of missed dose you must take the medicine as soon as you remember provided it is not close to the next dose. Do not double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking the medicine at the same time each day can reduce the chance of missing any dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some common side effects of the medicine include:
- Hot flashes
- Mild vertigo
- Leg or joint pain
- Excessive sweating
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Stomach pain
If such side effects persist for long then you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
some of the serious side effects which patients may develop when they take the medicine are:
- Sudden headache
- Unexpected numbness especially on one side of the body
- Balance difficulties
- Sudden cough
- Pain in chest
- Fast breathing or heart rate
- Pain or swelling in lower limbs
- Sore throat
- Flu symptoms
- Body aches
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Lumps in breast
- Painful or burning urination
- Extreme pain in your lower back.
- Swelling on your tongue, face, lips, or throat
- Breathing difficulty
In case of the above side effects you must get in touch with your doctor immediately. The above list is not the complete list of side effects that may happen. There are other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are certain medicines which may interact with Raloxifene and increase or decrease the working of the medicine. Some of the medicines which may interact with Raloxifene are:
- HRT drugs
- Birth control pills
- Blood thinner such as warfarin
This is not a complete list of medicine that may interact. There are other medicines as well. Tell your doctor about the medicines that you are taking currently so that he can check for possible drug interaction.
Things to remember:
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat light and moisture and also away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose mentioned and not for any other purpose. Do not take calcium supplements as excess amount of calcium can lead to conditions like kidney stones.
- Avoid sitting in a position for long without moving especially if you are travelling when taking the medicine.
- Follow the diet and exercise as recommended by your doctor strictly.
This is block static ( block-cms )