The combination drug preparation containing Salmeterol Xinafoate and fluticasone propionate is aneffective medication that provides symptomatic relief and prevents Asthma, Chronic bronchitis and chronic disorders of pulmonary glands. This drug is used for controlling and preventing the symptoms caused by asthma like wheezing and shortness of breath. Fluticasone is a corticosteroid while Salmeterol is a long acting beta antagonist. It prevents the asthma attack for asthma sufferers and decreases the inflammation in the lungs by releasing the chemicals that opens up the constricted tubes.This combination drug is a preventive medicine and is not effective when asthma attack has already begun.
Understanding the drug:
How it works?
It contains active ingredient Salbutamol in it, which has a relaxing effect on theconstricted bronchioles. It is a short acting beta receptor agonist and exerts bronchodilator effects. It stimulates the beta 2 receptors and relaxes the smooth muscles of all airways from the trachea to the terminal bronchioles. Along with this, it also stops the production of inflammatory cell mediators that causes constriction. It also increases self clearing mechanism of bronchi. This ingredient helps in relaxing the constricted bronchioles and facilitates the smooth breathing. While on the other hand the other combination ingredient works by reducing swelling and irritation of the airways.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients present in it
- Have cardiovascular diseases like Hypertension in pregnancy and Myocardial insufficiency
- Suffer from paradoxical breathing
- Have epilepsy
- Have diabetes
How much to take?
The dose intake is prescribed by the Doctor depending upon the severity and demand of the disease condition. Always follow doctor’s instructions. For asthmatic patients the general dosage is given as below. However the doctor must always be consulted before administering the use.
For adults and children over 16 years of age:
- Seretide 50/100 mcg Diskus - One inhalation twice a day
- Seretide 50/250 mcg Diskus - One inhalation twice a day
- Seretide 50/500 mcg Diskus - One inhalation twice a day
Children between the ages of 4 to 12 years of age:
- Seretide 50/100 mcg Diskus - One inhalation twice a day
Seretide is not recommended for the children below the age of 4 years.
What are the strengths available?
The combination drug of Salmeterol and fluticasone is available in following strength combination:
Seretide diskus 50mcg/100mcg
Seretide diskus 50mcg/250mcg
Seretide diskus 50mcg/500mcg
Who is the manufacturer?
The Seretide diskus is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical giant. It is available on our website in various pack sizes of 60, 120 and 180 doses.
How to take?
Do not swallow Diskus. The directions to use the diskus are as follows:
- Hold the Diskus near your mouth
- Push the thumb grip away, until a click is heard
- Hold the mouthpiece of diskus near your mouth
- Slide lever away until it clicks
- Breathe out away from the device
- Suck steadily and deeply from the mouthpiece
- Remove the diskus from the mouth and hold on the breathe for ten seconds
- Breathe out slowly and remove it
- Wait for thirty seconds before repeating the process again
It would be best for you to take medicine at the same time each day. It also lowers the chances of missing a dose.
When to take?
You should take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor. Try to take the dose at the same time each day; this will reduce the chances of a missed dose. Generally, one or two puffs from your Diskus are effective in relieving you from the symptoms. Never take a dose more or less than the prescribed one. You can take the drug according to two conditions:
During Night: if you have night time symptoms
During Day: if you have day time symptoms
This Diskus should not be used to treat a sudden attack of breathlessness. You will need a different kind of medicine called a 'reliever' which your doctor will have told you to take.
For how long should it be taken?
Do not stop taking the drug or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. Keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
In case of overdose you may need urgent medical attention if you encounter any of the following conditions like
- Allergic reaction
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest tightness
Even if you do not feel any discomfort, call your doctor or visit the nearest health care center immediately. Take medical help as soon as possible.
What if you miss the dose?
Consult your Doctor if you miss the Dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine has some side effects; Diskus is the one which has some mild and severe side effects also. It is not necessary that you will experience all of them. Some common side effects are listed below:
- Mild tremors
- Nose bleeding
- Fever, pale skin, rashes
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. You doctor will provide you the list of drugs to be avoided while taking Diskus. Some of the drugs which interact with Diskus are as follows:
- Sympathomimetics drugs
- HIV protease inhibitors
- Beta blockers like Atenolol
- Azole antifungal such as ketoconazole
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Keep the medicine in a close tight container and out of sight and reach of the children
- Always consult your physician for any kind of dose adjustment
- Avoid interactions with people who have infectious diseases like flu, measles and chicken pox
- The apt dosage and prescription is based on the information given by the patient and the condition being treated
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine
- Don’t load the capsule until you are ready to take a dose
- It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, so be cautious while driving
- Avoid alcohol consumption
This is block static ( block-cms )